Moving out

So you want to move out of the Karlshof? There’s a few things to bear in mind.

Termination of contract


You have finished your studies, changed university or decided that studying is not the right thing for you after all? Now you are exmatriculating and have to move out of Karlshof. Usually there is a 3-month notice period at the end of the semester. However, this does not apply if you are exmatriculated, as you lose the right to a flat in the student home.

Other apartment found

If you want to move out of the Karlshof, there is a 3-month period of notice at the end of the semester for your tenancy agreement, i.e. you have to submit your notice of termination in writing to the Studierendenwerk at the latest 3 months before the beginning of the new semester.

4 year limit

Normally you would have to move out of Karlshof after 2 years, but you can apply for an extension. At an appointment you make with the on-site-service, your room and common rooms will be inspected (as when you move out) and an extension of between 6 months and 2 years can be granted. If you have been living in dormitories of the Studierendenwerk for 4 years already, you have reached the maximum and can no longer receive an extension. The Studierendenwerk will contact you in time by e-mail and inform you about everything necessary. You do not have to hand in a notice of termination or similar, the contract simply expires.

Actually moving out

When your rental contract is cancelled or expired you will in most cases receive an email from the on-site service. The staff will arrange a date for you to move out and usually a pre-departure check 1-2 weeks before you move out.

Preparing the apartment

Before you can move out, your apartment will be checked to see if everything has been left as you found it when you moved in.

Your room

This means that there are no holes or dirt on the walls. If this is the case, these must be removed and the walls repainted if necessary. The rest of the room should be clean and the original furniture should be complete.

The common rooms

In general, the same applies to the common rooms as to your room. Walls should be clean and free of holes and broom clean. If you have purchased furniture yourself during your time at Karlshof that you do not want to take with you, your roommates will have to sign a form when you move out. This is done to prevent abandoned furniture from accumulating in the apartments.

If you have adhered to everything in this text, nothing should stand in the way of you moving out.